Naturalist, Teacher, Writer and Video Producer
- Natural History Services Owner and Founder 1986 - present
- Monarch Monitoring Project Director and Co-Founder: New Jersey Audubon - Cape May Bird Observatory 1991 - present
- Brownbag Productions Co-Owner, Producer 1995 - 2009
- Butterfly Atlas Coordinator, Researcher, Writer: Massachusetts Audubon Society 1984 - 1995
- Classroom Teacher, Curriculum Developer: Concord Public Schools 1970 - 1986
- Video Producer: video production with a focus on nature. Natural history DVDs and videos focusing on birds, butterflies, and dragonflies. Video projects for museums, nature centers, and various Audubon organizations as well as online nature video for websites. Stock footage supplier for media productions including corporate, commercial and cable television, CD ROMs, and the WWW. Video consultant for Concord Consortium.
- Writer: educational books, tapes, and videos on popular natural history. Contributions to various popular and scientific journals on natural history topics. Species accounts for state bird and butterfly surveys, inventory and habitat reports for town wildlife projects, regional work on the cultural and natural history of the Sudbury River Valley. Curriculum design and writing.
- Teacher: Natural history workshops and lectures for American Birding Association, Association of Field Ornithologists, Massachusetts Audubon Society, Audubon Society of Rhode Island, Maine Audubon Society, Audubon Society of New Hampshire, New Jersey Audubon Society, Florida Audubon Society, University of Maine - Institute for Field Ornithology, Bird Observer, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Thoreau Society, New England Wildflower Society, WGBH, and Lesley College. Classroom teacher.
- Researcher: Monarch Migration Project, Xerces/NABA Fourth of July Butterfly Counts, Massachusetts Butterfly Atlas Project, Massachusetts Breeding Bird Census, Faunal Census for National Park Service, The Nature Conservancy (Mass. Natural Heritage Program/Minute Man National Historic Park) Faunal Inventory, International Shorebird Census, Sudbury River Valley Bird Census, Sudbury River Valley Winter Raptor Census.
- Administrator: Massachusetts Butterfly Atlas Project; Secretary: Massachusetts Avian Records Committee; Director: Monarch Migration Project; Compiler: Concord Christmas Bird Count and Concord Xerces/NABA Census; Secretary: Nuttall Ornithological Club; Chairperson: Elementary Science Curriculum Committee.
- Additional Field Courses in Surficial Geology, Ornithology, Botany, and Entomology
- Master of Education, Natural Science Education Lesley College, Cambridge, MA June 1978
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, Hobart College, Geneva, NY June 1964
- Jumping Spiders (Araneae: Salticidae) of the Concord Area, Middlesex County, Massachusetts in Language And Nature Papers Presented To John Huehnergard On The Occasion Of His 60th Birthday. 2012. Univ. Chicago.
- First records of Hakka (Araneae: Salticidae) in North America. 2011. With Ryan Kaldari and G.B. Edwards. Peckhamia 94.1.
- Massachusetts Audubon Society: the First Sixty Years. 2010. With William E. Davis. In Memoirs Of The Nuttall Ornithological Club, No. 17. Contributions To The History Of North American Ornithology Volume III. Edited By William E. Davis, Jr. And Jerome A. Jackson.
- Monarch butterfly (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae) migration monitoring at Chincoteague, Virginia and Cape May, New Jersey: a comparison of long-term trends. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society 79(2):156-164. 2006. With Denise Gibbs, Lincoln Brower and Andrew Davis
- Long-term monitoring and fall migration patterns of the monarch butterfly in Cape May, NJ. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 98(5): 682-689. 2005. With Lincoln Brower and Andrew Davis
- Monitoring the Fall Migration of the Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexippus L.) in Eastern North America: 1991-1994. 1996. Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society. With Lincoln Brower
- Familiar Birds of Lakes and Rivers. 1994. Alfred A. Knopf
- Songbirds and Familiar Backyard Birds. 1994. Alfred A. Knopf
- North American Waterfowl. 1994. Alfred A. Knopf
- North American Birds of Prey. With Clay Sutton. 1994. Alfred A. Knopf
- Endangered Wildlife of North America - Coloring Book 1991. Houghton Mifflin Co.
- The Audubon Society Pocket Guides: Familiar Butterflies of North America. 1990. Alfred A. Knopf
- Bird Finding in New England. 1988. Godine
- Birds of the Sudbury River Valley: An Historical Perspective. 1984. Massachusetts Audubon Society
- Christmas Bird Counting with a microcomputer. With Susan Emmons. 1984. American Birds Vol. 38, No. 4: 392-393.
- Various articles and short papers in American Birds, American Butterflies, Birding, Sanctuary - The Journal of the Massachusetts Audubon Society, and Bird Observer of Eastern Massachusetts
- Panama: Canopy Tower and Canopy Lodge. Hylaea Productions. 2007. With Raul Arias de Para and Victor Emanuel
- Cape May - Fall Flight. 2006. Brownbag Productions.
Henry David Thoreau - Speaking for Nature. 2006. Three Rivers Productions. With John Huehnergard.
- Quiz Birds: Birding the Hot Spots. 2006. Brownbag Productions. With Greg Dodge
- The New World Tropics / An Introduction For Naturalists: Belize - Costa Rica - Trinidad. 2005. Hylaea Productions
- Common Butterflies and Skippers of Eastern North America. 2004. Brownbag Productions. With Greg Dodge
- Common Dragonflies and Damselflies of Eastern North America. 2004. Brownbag Productions. With Greg Dodge
- Shorebirds: A Guide to the Shorebirds of Eastern North America. 2003. Brownbag Productions. With Greg Dodge
- Hawk Watch: A Video Guide To Eastern Raptors. Brownbag Productions. 2003, 1998 (VHS). With Greg Dodge
- Common Butterflies of the Southeast: A Video Guide. 1998 (VHS). Brownbag Productions. With Greg Dodge
- Common Dragonflies of the Northeast: A Video Guide. 1997 (VHS). Brownbag Productions. With Richard Forster
- Common Butterflies of the Northeast: A Video Guide. 1996 (VHS). Brownbag Productions.
- Skippers of the Northeast: A Video Guide to Field Identification. 1995 (VHS). Brownbag Productions.
- Birding by Ear: Eastern. Peterson Field Guide # 38. 1989. Houghton Mifflin Co. With Bob Lawson
- Birding by Ear: Western. Peterson Field Guide # 41. 1990. Houghton Mifflin Co. With Bob Lawson
- Backyard Birdsong. Peterson Field Guide # 43. 1991. Houghton Mifflin Co. With Bob Lawson
- More Birding by Ear: Eastern. Peterson Field Guide # 47. 1994. Houghton Mifflin Co. With Bob Lawson
- Do You Dream - Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival Promotional Video. 2013. Natural History Productions
- Monarch Monitoring Project: Cape May, NJ - 1990 - Present. New Jersey Audubon Society & Cape May Bird Observatory.
- Massachusetts Butterfly Atlas 1986-1990 2006. Massachusetts Audubon Society. With Chris Leahy and Brian Cassie
- Jumping Spiders Online Videos 2008-2013. Natural History Productions.
- Solitary Wasps - An Introduction for Naturalists. 2009. Natural History Productions.
- Through the Seasons. - 2009. Natural History Productions.
- Skippers of the Northeast: A Video Guide to Field Identification. 2010 (rev.). Natural History Productions.
- Naturalists are drawn to Cape May each fall to witness the spectacular southbound migration. My first visit in October of 1982 ultimately led to a permanent connection with Cape May and a passion for monarchs. Cape May has not only enriched my life as a naturalist but has also been the place I have met many lifelong friends.
- The Monarch Monitoring Project (MMP), established in 1990, is a research and education program focusing on the fall migration of monarch butterflies along the Atlantic coast. The MMP operates under the auspices of New Jersey Audubon and the Cape May Bird Observatory. For over two decades the MMP has gathered data on monarchs moving through Cape May during September and October. MMP staff and volunteers also conduct informational programs on monarch biology and tagging.
Life Is Short - Dance Baby, Dance!
The player will be put in place of this div...